Christmas celebrations don’t have to revolve around stodgy desserts – we offer a more modern take on a red velvet cake with our red velvet trifle.
YOU WILL NEED
To make the cake:
250ml castor sugar
10ml vanilla essence
450ml self-raising flour
75ml cocoa powder
45ml red food colouring
To make the chocolate ganache:
500g dark chocolate
To make the cream cheese layer:
500g thick cream cheese
15ml lemon juice
180ml icing sugar
5ml vanilla extract
375ml cream, whipped
500g strawberries, sliced – reserve some whole ones for the top
Make the cake:
1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly add the vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
2. Sift the flour and cocoa.
3. Combine the buttermilk, vinegar and food colouring and mix well.
4. Add the flour to the creamed mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Mix until well blended.
5. Divide the mixture into 3 x 18cm greased and base-lined spring-form cake tins and bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Remove and cool in tins for 10 minutes before removing.
GOOD TO KNOW: For the trifle, the cakes are best made the day before otherwise they are too fresh and fragile to handle.
Make the ganache:
1. Combine the chocolate and cream in a bowl and microwave on 50% power for 2-3 minutes until melted and smooth. Place in the fridge to cool, but do not allow to set or it will be difficult to spread.
Make the cream cheese layer:
1. Beat the cream cheese and lemon juice until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the icing sugar, and vanilla. Gently mix in the whipped cream.
Ready to serve:
Place a layer of cake in your container and top with a third of the cream cheese mixture. Then carefully pour on a third of the chocolate ganache. Cover with a layer of sliced strawberries. Repeat until the container is filled.
Top with the final layer with cream cheese and fresh strawberries. Chill until ready to serve.
~ Angela Day via HomeDzine